Carers Information

Are you a Carer?

Would you like attend the Wolverhampton Carers Forum

You can be involved with:

  • Decision Making
  • Raising awareness of carers issues
  • Helping to arrange events for carers

Have your say and register you interest now!

Contact the Carers Team on 01902 553409

If you care for a relative or friend please inform reception or doctor, and complete a Carers Identification Form available here. We keep a register of carers so that we can provide help and advice.

New social care guide

Patients who need help with day-to-day living because of illness or disability can now get information and support online. A new guide to social care on the NHS website contains information for people who might need social care, their families and carers.

Universal Credit and Pension Credit for Couples

The introduction of Universal Credit causes some unexpected complications for couples if one is over pension age and the other partner is still below the pension age; this only applies to new claims.

Existing payments from Pension Credit made before Universal Credit started in Wolverhampton will continue unaffected even if one partner is still below their own pension age.

What used to happen? Previously, for new Pension Credit claims, both members of a couple could be entitled to Pension Credit from the date when the older member reached their own pension age.

What has changed? Now that Universal Credit is introduced to our area postcodes, both members of a couple must have reached their own pension ages before you can claim Pension Credit. If you try to claim Pension Credit when one of you is below their pension age, you could be directed to claim Universal Credit and the younger partner will be expected to seek work (unless they are sick or a Carer etc.).

The usual 6 week delays in first payment of Universal Credit and interruptions to housing benefits etc. will also apply.

What are the alternatives?

  • Where the younger member of a couple is claiming as a Carer AND Income Support is already in payment. It is important to continue with the younger members Income Support claim; there is no need to claim either Pension Credit or Universal Credit. Once the older member reaches pension age then an additional Pensioner Premium will be added to the Income Support amount and that will bring the overall amount which will be equal to Pension Credit rates for a couple. This avoids any interruptions in fortnightly income, housing benefit should also continue without any breaks.
  • If the younger member of the couple is already claiming ESA (income related). Again, there is no need to claim Pension Credit, the ESA claim should continue in the younger persons name and the overall amount should be increased to include a pensioner premium which will bring the total paid to equal the same fortnightly rate as Pension Credit.

We understand that letters are being received by individuals which invite them to claim Pension Credit when they reach their own pension age; these letters wont have taken into account the circumstances of partners etc. But if their partner is younger and fits into one of the above categories then please consider if you fit into one of the above options.

If in any doubt, contact the carers team and ask for further advice from before you make any new claims to Pension credit if you have a younger partner who is below their pension age.

Carer Support Team

This information bulletin is for carers, professionals working with carers and organisations supporting carers. The Carer Support Team supports family carers in Wolverhampton.

To find out more about what is offered contact:

Call : 01902 553409
Visit our website :
Email the team at : [email protected]
Drop in to the Carers Centre : Carers Centre, Blossoms Fold, Off North Street, Wolverhampton, WV1 4HJ
Office Opening times : Monday to Friday, 9.00am till 4.30pm (closed from 12.30pm to 13.30pm)

Carer Information: West Midlands

National Express West Midlands

Seniors travel for 1, Singlejourney before 9.30am Monto Friday

Do you have a ConcessionaryBus pass or know someone that has one? With your bus pass you can now travelfor 1 before 9.30am, from Monday to Friday.

Wolverhampton Alz Cafe

This is a monthly gathering where people with dementia and their families and friends can be together in a safe, welcoming environment, to socialize, enjoy an evening of entertainment and have fun.

It is held at Penn UnitedReformed Church, 333 Penn Road, Penn, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WV4 5QF, onthe second Tuesday of every month at 7.00pm to 9pm.

Transport can be accessed by calling Ring and Ride on 01902 425788.

For more information call:

07804 832397 or 01902 752725

Age UK: Camaraderie Club

The Camaraderie club is for older veterans (67+) and ex-service men and women to enjoy refreshments, banter and good company. The Club offers talks, demonstrations and trips for your enjoyment. Why not come along with friends or come and make new ones?

Tuesdays 1.00pm -2.30pm at the:

Electric Club
St Marks Road,
WV3 0QH. 

Admission is free and refreshments are provided. If you would like to attend please call Nikki on 01902572 060 or 07523 518 414 or email [email protected]

Charity for Civil Servants for you, by you

If you are a civil servant, past or present, or if you work for an organisation that is sponsored by a government department, you may be eligible to apply for help from the Charity of Civil Servants. They can advise on money issues, relationship difficulties, caring responsibilities, stress, anxiety, depression and other mental health problems. They can provide financial assistance where necessary and may be able to offer a one-off payment during a crisis.

To find out more:

Freephone 0800 056 2424

Up-to-date Carer information can be found at

Information and Advice for Carers

Find out about the services on offer for carers living in Wolverhampton including breaks for carers of adults. Visit Wolverhampton Information Network for further information. The Carer Support Team offers a range of support for carers of adults living in Wolverhampton.

Carer is anyone who provides a significant amount of support for a relative, friend or neighbour on a regular basis without payment. The person that you look after may have a mental health need, learning disability, physical and sensory disability or may be an older, vulnerable person.

  • Practical Information and advice
  • Carers assessment
  • Benefits advice
  • Signposting
  • Carers Emergency Card

Contact the Carers Support Team:

Email[email protected]
Telephone : 01902 553409
Visit : Carers Support Centre, Blossoms Fold off North Street, Wolverhampton, WV1 4HJ
Opening Hours : Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm


City of Wolverhampton Council provides a Telecare service to support vulnerable people to live independently in their own homes and communities, and provides reassurance to individuals, carers and families 24/7.

Wolverhampton Telecare consists of a range of personal and environmental sensors that enable people to remain safe and independent in their own home for longer. It aims to provide reassurance 24 hours a day to those living on their own or caring for vulnerable people, helping you to stay safe and the right support in crisis situations.

More information can be found at:

Practical guide to healthy caring

NHS England, with Carers UK, Carers Trust, Age UK, Public Health England and carers networks, has produced a Practical Guide to Healthy Caring. This is a companion guide to the Healthy Ageing Guide and provides information and advice to older carers about staying healthy whilst caring.